Tuesday 22 January 2013

Day 47 of self torture.

Day 47, crap weather and I had a ortho app. I stopped turning my expander 18 days ago and was super excited for this appointment as I seem to have developed an unhealthy obsession with my family's current dental treatment, mostly my own. My daughter's dentist has advised braces in the future, she is currently 8 years old and has lost 9 primary teeth. It's should also be noted that she has had two root canal treatments at the age of 5 on two molars, and recently had two fillings and will need one root canal redone in the near future. In other words, poor kid inherited my crooked teeth with her fathers weak sensitive (easily decayed) teeth. I don't know how else to explain his teeth, he is currently undergoing reconstructive treatment. My daughter does not drink soft drink everyday, she doesn't eat junk all the time, but she constantly suffers with dental problems. So now, under the advise of her super hot dental hygienist, she is given one free day (Sunday) every week to eat whatever she wants, drink soft drink, poppa's and juice. On every other day of the week, she eats foods low in sugar and only drinks water and milk. This, he says with his gorgeous teeth moving - and me staring in all my palatal expansion glory, will not allow sugar and plaque to sit on her teeth for long periods of time, therefore it won't have a chance to decay her teeth. So clever, she can eat whatever on Sunday, makes it better for her because she can eat that roll up without me making her brush straight after.
My ortho thinks it would be a good idea to bring her in after her 9th birthday to take a look at her teeth. I think that the best gift I can ever give her is a beautiful smile and self confidence. She will never be burdened with the cost of fixing her smile in her mid twenties because I will never allow her to suffer as long as I did with crooked teeth!
Any who this blog is supposed to be about my expansion.
I don't know if I mentioned last post about one of the expanders 'arms' (the piece that comes around and holds onto my first premolars) lifting off my tooth... Well it lifted from my tooth, not from eating anything on the naughty list, I am good girl! But from expansion! This is notable because its the only physical evidence that my palate has moved or is moving, other than the gaps between my molars. The ortho bent it back onto my tooth, making it a hundred times more comfortable for me! I had spent the last week biting down on it, getting food stuck there (but that happens everywhere) and feeling its little abusive hook like features rub against my tongue! Anyway, it's fixed now and I'm hoping it stays put for the next three weeks....
So at my app while examining my mouth, (and turning my key or spanner a few times) my orthodontist says that I will have to do some more expansion, he is just working out how much. I'm like :| not happy at all, but it was a possibility right? I knew that going in there... But I thought it was pretty cool that he just works it out there in his head, numbers would be involved for sure as my expansion device is capable of opening 12mm and each turn is 1/4mm. After he did his maths sums he told me that I would need twelve more turns, none today as he has already done it for me, and he will see me in three weeks. My heart dropped... Twelve more turns!!! That's a bit more pressure and adjusting than expected after I had had a 18 day break. Elch.
I left after rebooking and drove home with my cranky pants on.
I am now being grumpy, waiting for my husband to wake so I can complain.....
He has ten minutes left before I wake him myself.

This morning I had an incident that I thought I should document, I don't think I mentioned before but stuttering has become notable for me in recent weeks. This morning while ordering something at the shop, I stuffed up three times before finding a word that my tongue could get around and blushing like an idiot. The store lady says to me 'stuttering isn't fun is it love?' And I look like a fool with red cheeks when I say 'no, I have a plate thing in my mouth at the moment, so annoying' she nods in understanding and says that her son has a plate and braces at the moment and has trouble speaking and with his wires..
How nice it is to know that others sound like morons also!
People understand what your going through with orthodontic work, so many have had it done themselves, and now have beautiful teeth....
Just keeping my eyes on the prize.

Not really notable to my dental treatment but I have read this once or twice before and it has reminded me that no matter the distance we need to travel, the prize is always worth the journey. Or something like that.




No comments:

Post a Comment