Sunday 27 January 2013

Day 51

Today is day 51....
I have to say that I am pretty happy with the progress this far, my teeth are definitely moving, quite rapidly since my last visit and commencing turns again only 4 days ago.
The upper teeth on the right side of my mouth actually sit on top of my bottom teeth a lot better, they are matching the left side now and looks like my cross bite is going to be a thing of the past! :)
Although I have constant pressure again, I am feeling good. But The turns have become quite intense, I turn once everyday, right after brushing and before sleep. I chose this time so that I am not trying to talk and eat for a few hours afterward, giving my teeth the chance to move while I sleep without pain - or at least that's my theory.
I usually lay down in bed ready for sleep so I don't have to get up ( if i need to get up, i wouldn't for a good twenty minutes after turning), and use a mirror to turn my spanner. I put the spanner onto my bar so it is closest to my upper teeth and pull down as far as it will go (to my bottom jaw) to complete a full turn. I can feel the pushing whilst turning so expansion is immediate from the device, the palate and teeth just need to catch up. It's a slight pain, I won't lie.. It's unpleasant to move bones which have been in place for 15+ years but it could be better explained as pressure which feels like pain... If that makes any sense at all....
Today my teeth are quite sore, they aren't loose but feel unstable in my mouth and I am finding eating things like biscuits and cheese to be unpleasant. I also wanted to list the foods I have found to be too difficult to eat with my expander in (see below) the longer I have it on, the more foods I try and the more I am disappointed. Everything will get stuck, bread, cheese, cereal and even yoghurt will lodge above the expander and under the palate. The only thing to remove it is to drink water... Elch.
Eating is always an expedition now... The only way I feel as though my mouth is clean afterward is when I have used my water pik... It's so easy to use.. Fill the water chamber, place in the mouth with the flosser tip at the gumline ready to move over all the crevices between your teeth (and that huge lump of metal attached to everything in mine) turn on switch while leaving your mouth open a small amount (make sure your over the sink at all times) and move the tip around. It feels good against your gums and really does a good job. I spent hours using picks and floss and brushing only to find that I still would not remove everything for my expander without using the waterpik. I read on an old feed somewhere that they were unavailable in Australia.. Well they are here now and they are amazing. I will include a picture of my waterpik at the end of this post. I really don't think I would have been able to keep it so clean without one. Which I have found to be the main cause of annoyance with an expander.

Of course there is plenty of other reasons to dislike this thing...
The pressure has been constant, my face feels the movement and its more like an uncomfortable feeling. I feel pressure in my cheekbones, nose and jaw, although I am yet to get a headache which is really amazing for me... I used to suffer with chronic migraines which I had to manage with prescription drugs and pain killers. I have been prescribed panadene forte, mersyndol forte and imigran for treating them and various preventative pills in the past. I had to stop taking them due to developing stomach ulcer symptoms which they (and I) believed was from frequent NSAID use to treat my migraines.
Any who, no headaches is great, no migraines is excellent!

Some peoples Facial features may change...I don't find this to be a negative side effect but some people may. I have already had many people note the changes in my cheekbones... I actually have some now. :) My face has filled out a lot and i think it looks better than before, little changes but big changes to me!!! I always had a small face, I look quite different to my two sisters. I now know its because their jaws and facial structure developed properly, mine didn't.

I dislike that even after 4-6 months with my expander on, I will still be having four teeth removed before being braced. I'm not scared of extraction, at all. I know it's necessary for my treatment, I still don't like the idea of losing four more teeth when I have just gained so much space, but it still won't be enough for them all!!!

My bite is always feeling 'off' and constantly changes. I haven't been able to rip something open with my teeth since about day 14, although I frequently still try. My bite doesn't meet at the front, which makes eating harder as I cannot bite off a mouthful easily, most foods need to be cut and I don't always have a knife and fork!


Here is what I have thought of so far in relation to eating...


The 'Brace Watchers Diet' is generally what you should follow with the expander.

Do not even try eating - popcorn, the kernels will lodge in the expander, above the bar and will need to be removed.. Not nice. Chewy foods, lollies, toffees or candy will pull at the arms and brackets moving bits and maybe even dislodge it.. Just don't even try it, they're too expensive to mess with. Hard foods are difficult to chew because the teeth are moving and it causes pain.
Corn chips, rice cakes and nuts lodge in the expander and chewing ice is capable of breaking it.


Foods you shouldn't have - sugary foods, the sugar can hide in little crevices against the expander and teeth and cause cavities and decay. Soft drink also does the same using a straw helps but if you don't drink it at all you won't ever have a problem.

Difficult foods - apple and carrot, hard fruits and vegetables can be difficult to chew. Rice and mince meat meals, both the rice and mince lodge in all the little places, places you aren't going to reach without a waterpik. Most meats also lodge in the expander and can wrap around the bar. I have had the unpleasant sensation of swallowing food which is stuck on the bar, so I have only half swallowed it and choked. So gross. The only advice I can give with meat is to cut it very small and take tiny bites. Or become vegetarian... But then raw hard fruit and veg are also a difficult food..... Oh well. Bread is soft but gets in all the small spaces which are impossible to reach and lodges above the bar. Chips, biscuits and jatz also do the same.

Easy foods - they'll still get stuck, but you should be able to get it out for now, without a pik. Most soft foods, pasta meals, soups, puréed meals and desserts. Noodles can be eaten but should be cut first. Yoghurt, banana, strawberries and most soft fruits. Cooked vegetables are also quite easy.



I will add to the food list as I go, I am still learning what I can and can't eat myself!






3 comments:

  1. Wow! So many things you can't eat :(

    I'm loving your posts Rin, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wierd, my name is Erin and I too am a slytherin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be pretty awesome then Erin! not getting a palate expander too are you? LOL

      Delete