Saturday 16 February 2013

Day 72

I just read my last post and realised that I probably should update, and edit it! It is terribly written! (possibly due to the fact it was done at 11pm on a mobile device) My apologies....
It is early morning now so I will give it a better go this time and check my spelling and grammar before posting.

I decided to post again because things have changed since then, a whole 8 days ago! My Expander has decided to remind me of its presence almost on a daily basis now....
Even after I have stopped turning!
My mouth is more then aware that there is something in there.
I could really only explain this as an aching jaw, it feels as though the rest of my teeth are trying to catch up with the molars the expander is bonded to. These molars sit out further in my arch, probably due to the fact that they are the ones taking all the force when the spanner is turned. I really don't know if the other teeth are following suit, it feels as though they are, but I am not sure if they should be moving... Non-Surgical Adult Expansion, why can it not be a straightforward process? Oh that's right, because we are humans and must all be different....

For the first time since my first turn of the spanner, I caved and took pain medication... Not just once but twice this week, and for the whole duration of those days. After my very first turn of the spanner at home, I realised the pressure wasn't so bad and didn't take anything prior to turning again. I have been quite proud of the fact that I have done close to 50 turns of my expander, with no pain medication, as I need to minimise my use of them due to stomach problems.
This week I have dealt with the soreness in my mouth by taking medication, and suffered for it later with my stomach acting up horribly in response. It's a catch 22 situation, I have to decide if the pain meds really are worth the aftermath...
It's funny too, people can tell when you are in pain, I don't know how I let it show but my work colleagues are already on the ball. There is quite an age gap between us, most of them have had orthodontic work, or their teenage children did. They understand my lisping, running to the bathroom with a toothbrush and sometimes they even notice I am in pain before I do! -.- often, one of them will tell me 'your mouth is hurting today, your not as boppy!' Lol!
I am usually what some would call 'a bubbly person' I enjoy life, (even work, I am a preschool teacher, best job ever) and people quite often tell me I am happy and smile all the time, even with my teeth as they are... Hahah! This last week, I must have looked like I had lost my dog...

The expander is annoying me a lot. I dream about getting it removed often, not the actual procedure but afterwards. Being able to feel the inside of my mouth without metal being in the way!
Oh what a day that shall be! I will talk and sing and swallow and eat peacefully once again, hopefully better than before!

I have noticed that breathing through my nose is something I am doing a lot more now. I can get just as much air into my lungs by breathing via my nose, then my mouth! How exciting right?!?!?

My bite is still off, I think I have more teeth actually touching now, but they're molars. So my eating is still somewhat relatable to that of a baby T-Rex.

Anyway, a short post just to let you know that I haven't forgotten my expander.... It has its ways of reminding me that it's there, that it's changing things....

Oh the joy!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi, great blog. Thanks for being willing to document your journey. This is day 14 of 2 turns a day of my palate expander. I haven't seen a gap in between my two front teeth yet. What day did you start to notice a gap, or did you not notice one at all? Thanks

    ReplyDelete